PLEASE slow down a little bit, and take it more serious
First of all: I love ClickUp. This is the best task management / productivity app I’ve ever used. And I’ve used a lot. I’ve moved our whole company to ClickUp, which means about 50 people and 60-70 software development projects. We heavily rely on you. I’ve chosen you over TargetProcess, Jira, OpenProject, Monday, Trello and so on… Which is a big win for you. But! Please take one or two month without any new features, and make the app more robust, reliable, and faster. It feels like, every 1 change you make bring 2 more bugs in the app. In the last few days it was very very frustrating. ClickUp was so slow, the text you were writing in the description is literally just disappeared… And we constantly have bugs, for example: Sometimes we cannot create tasks normally ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/cannot-create-task-error-popup-parent-not-found-code-content003 , https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/newly-created-task-does-not-show-in-list , https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/tasks-disappear-when-newly-added , https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/not-updating-list ). This is just essential stuff. I’v recorded a video months ago. Other people also reporting this bug. Time reporting STILL shows the WRONG numbers ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/time-reporting-bug ). Which should be an important feature. You screwed up time tracking after adding new features ( https://clickup.canny.io/feature-requests/p/bring-back-the-calendar-to-time-tracker ). One of the most important feature! You closed the bug, but automations are still unreliable ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/automations-are-often-unreliable ). Which a lot of people rely on. From one day to another custom field automations are just broken ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/cannot-create-automations-for-custom-fields ). Timesheet has arrived which was great, but it still shows the wrong hours per day ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/time-sheet-wrong-hours-per-day ) It has rounding issue ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/time-sheet-rounding-error ) We cannot export them ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/time-sheet-export-bug ) So PLEASE!!! Stop making new features every day. Fix these bugs, and make the app more reliable! We won’t go anywhere if you don’t make 129 new features for the next 2 months. But we will, if the app constantly delivers new bugs, and strange behavior. And last, but not least: I love ClickUp. This is why I’m writing this. Thank you!
New tasks disappearing temporarily
I cannot believe we are still having these type of issues... added a subtask and it simply vanished. Added another subtask and the previous one re-appeared... Is this going to be fixed by your "3.0" rollout?
Automations Inconsistency. Sometimes not triggering at all
I just performed an action that should have triggered an automation on 4 tasks. So far only 1 has triggered. It's been 5 minutes already. This is a critical issue because now I simply don't know whether the automation is eventually going to happen, or whether it has completely failed on the other 3 tasks. So what do I do? Try again? Delete the tasks and try again? I could have performed the actions manually 10 times over by now, so what's the point?
Auto-Refresh (Views/Task updates/etc do not appear until page refresh)
Some sort of periodic refresh would be helpful. I'm using the Mac app. If I leave it one day and come back the next day, nothing has updated. ie; if a task used to be due "tomorrow" it still shows "tomorrow" until I refresh manually by clicking something, then it will show as "today" I'd love to just have it constantly up to date without needing a manual refresh.
Refresh Rate Is Super Slow
I have used ClickUp MacOS App and on Chrome Tab the refresh rate of the software is extremely slow. When licking between tasks / projects or even simply adding a comments, the app starts to refresh and take 2-3 secs to reload the desired section. It's kinda infuriating. Ill bring my team back to this app once this issue is resolved. For now i have moved on.
Task reordering does not always stick (Order index)
As of this morning, whenever I reorder subtasks they jump back to their original position after a moment. Refreshing the page doesn't help.
Cannot delete a comment within a task. I can edit the comment, but not delete it. It bounces me back to the parent level and error "You don't have permission to do this action Access_081" appears. We have confirmed permissions are the same as others in my org. I was able to delete comments previously.
Filtering is Breaking
I heavily depend on filters and I notice in the past week it seems 50% of the time they're not working. I filter out tasks by time for example and it might work the first time but upon refresh or if I come back later it's broken. And yes I'm saving the filter I have used ClickUp for almost a year now, it's being saved. However it sometimes works and sometimes does not. I tried both the web app and the desktop app and they both have the same problem.
Burndown Widget doesn't work
Burndown chart widget doesn't seem to take in to account custom "done" states. We have a "done" state as "in review" and it's set to be a done state, however, activity on this chart doesn't dip when switching a task (or several tasks) to that state. Basically the burndowns are useless.